Who Can Apply For What?
Certification Candidates may apply to Minor Games only (Canada only).
Certified Members may apply to all games (Major & Minor).
Certified Members from Quebec are only eligible to apply for National events (within Canada) i.e. Provincial or National games outside of Quebec upon the completion of 1000 hours of academic education, the CSMTA Education Program and the written certification exam.
Every year, there is at least one and usually multiple calls for selections to Major Games which include the Olympics, Pan Am Games, Commonwealth Games, World University Games and the Francophone Games. Requests come to the CSMTA from the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) to help staff the Canadian Health Care Team. The CSMTA Selections Committee works with the COC to ensure the most qualified and experienced therapists are chosen for each particular event.
In conjunction with the COC, the CSMTA Selections Committee has developed a set of guidelines and an application form. Calls for selections to Major Games are usually announced approximately one year in advance of the event. The announcement is posted online and distributed by e-mail to the eligible applicants. Certified members in good standing with the CSMTA are automatically included and depending on the event and number of overall applicants Candidate members may also be included in the invitation to apply. Even without a formal invitation, Candidate members are free to apply. This can provide valuable experience for Candidate members so that they can understand the point system of evaluation and ensure an up-to-date CV is always at hand.
Major Games Selection Process
1. Chair of the selection committee receives communication from the Medical Missions Team.
2. Chair of the selection then communicates with the CSMTA National Office for official call for applicants.
3. National Office through e-mail blast and website posting sends out the call for applicants to serve on the medical team.
4. Once the Selection committee is finished with its nominations the names are forwarded to the National Office to ensure the members are in good standing.
5. Those names are then forwarded to the Medical Missions Manager. Once the Medical Missions manager has selected their candidates, the Selections Chair is notified by either the Chief therapist or Chief Medical Officer.
6. Nominated candidates are notified by either the Chief Therapist or Chief Medical Officer, not the CSMTA Selections Chair.
7. CSMTA and chosen candidate do not disclose nominated candidates until announcements have been made (media press) or the candidate has been given permission from the COC.
8. Once given the go ahead the CSMTA will announce via web-posting and e-mail blast the nominated candidate or candidates.